bip158 - compact block filters
2022-09-16 · 1 min read
- bip: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0158.mediawiki
- blog: https://blog.trezor.io/bip158-compact-block-filters-9b813b07a878
- uses Golomb Coded Sets over Bloom Filters since they're more compact.
- full nodes build a unique CBF per block. each filter commits to the set of UTXOs that block consumes.
- light clients, rather than registering their personal UTXOs w/ a full node (bad for privacy), instead request the CBF for a block and check whether the block touches any of their UTXOs.