lightning network notes
2022-03-17 · 1 min read
HTLCs must clear quickly #
- HTLCs should clear quickly (like at most 30sec)
- Each pending HTLC adds an extra txout to your (refund?) tx, which costs you on-chain fees if you have to revoke.
- Good quality nodes should almost never (?) hold HTLCs for a long time.
- Rustie proposal (offhand comment from Tadje circa 2019) means nodes will try to ascribe blame if an HTLC doesn't clear quickly.
- If the path looks like A -> B -> C, and A sees HTLC pass some timeout, A will request proof (proof that B closed channel B <-> C with pending HTLC containing image of R) from B that he has also punished C for not publishing R (preimage) or A will punish B (by closing their channel A <-> B).